With aim to take up community managed reform process in drinking water sector, Water and Sanitation Management Organization (WASMO) was established by Government of Gujarat as a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) in the year 2002 to facilitate the community in development of water supply facilities in rural areas of Gujarat.
WASMO is registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and also as a Public Charitable Trust. The organisation adopts best practices of Government, Civil Society or Corporate with flexible approach and faster decision making process, so as to fulfil the demand of community in taking forward drinking water reforms at village level.
To enable communities to have adequate, safe and sustainable drinking water supply and improved habitat by ensuring empowerment and active community management of natural resources, leading to an improvement in their living standards.
- Empowering communities to plan, manage, maintain and own their water supply and sanitation facilities
- Ensuring participation of communities and women in managing their own water supply
- Attaining drinking water security through a combination of local and bulk water supply systems and village level infrastructure
- Encouraging communities to adopt best practices on local water resource management, including rainwater harvesting
- Bridging the existing knowledge gap amongst communities on water resource management, water conservation, safe drinking water, hygiene and sanitation issues
- Creating a manpower pool and strong knowledge base in the water and sanitation sector